Sunday, December 13, 2009

Vasari Corridor

Ciao- I was reading this article on the Discover Tuscany Blog and recalled that I never shared that I have visited the Vasari Corridor. I went with my Museum Studies class two weeks ago. I would have snuck my camera along but our teacher took up a week early. It was really cool, basically it is a secret passage way over the river Arno that the Medici family used. It now houses their impressive collection of artist self-portraits. It is rare to be able to go on this tour and I feel very lucky to have such an opportunity.
From now up to the 18th of December, the Vasari Corridor is once again open for visits but only with reservations. These visits, guided by special staff from the Supervisory board, are only offered for short periods of time during the year for small groups but at a reasonable price (14 euro which includes entrance into the Uffizi, which you can visit beforehand).
The famous corridor, built in 1565 by Giorgio Vasari to celebrate the wedding between Francesco I de’ Medici to Joan of Austria, connects Palazzo Vecchio to the Uffizi Gallery and to the Palazzo Pitti. It was a special passageway reserved exclusively for use by the Medici so that they could move freely from their residence at the Palazzo Pitti to Palazzo Vecchio, the seat of government.
Read more about the Vasari Corridor >>

No comments: